2013-11-25

Big trolls vs. small trolls: The real battle behind patent reform

Link To Article

Orig Post Date:  2013.11.22
Source:  InfoWorld
My Comments:
Interesting article about how large technology firms want to be free to troll their patents and at the same time be protected from smaller patent troll firms.
Personally I have never understood software patents since I've never understood how one can patent a thought process.  When I write code I set down and analyze a problem and think of a way to calculate a solution to the problem.  For example many years in the past if I needed the average for three numbers I might have devised the formula,
A = ( v1 + v2 + v3) / 3
Since this was a new solution I apply for and get a software patent for:
 A = (v1 + v2 + v3 + ... + vN) / N
which is a general solution for solving an average.  Sometime later when another coder independently writes an equation to solve an average for three numbers,
vA = (s1 + s2 + s3) / 3
which is extremely similar to my general solution.  So I contact them and demand royalties for violating my patent.  Now I realize this example is extremely simple but that is the principal and it makes understanding software patent difficult for me.
W.C.

No comments: